Friday, January 25, 2013

Mounting Work

What to Do with Older Work
     Sometimes a piece of mine just doesn't speak to me any more. Instead of burning them as the artists of old did, I choose to rework them.
     I have gone back into a piece and painted over it, or I'll paint gesso over parts of it and add collage items, incorporating parts I like or I simply cut out the areas I like and mount or frame them.
Mounting
     For this post, I will mount a section of a work onto a birch board panel. I like the panels because the wooden surface can really be pressed onto for glueing the new work. I have used individual stretcher artist bars and pre-stretched canvas before but these work best for this particular process.
find them here
 To determine what areas of the older work to cut out for the newly mounted work, I use a pre-sized window. I cut these out of old cardboard from cereal boxes, insides of picture frames, etc. This is economical and saves more garbage from going into the landfill.
     Here is a 9x9" cardboard square with a 6x6" opening. This works for me in 2 ways. If I wanted to wrap around a canvas or stretcher bar set up, I would use the 9x9" area to cut out. You need the extra fabric for wrapping.

   
     If I want to mount a piece on 6x6 wooden panel, I use the inside of the window. I move the window around the piece to choose the best design areas to cut out for these for smaller works.  I draw my lines using the inside as a guide to use to cut out the new piece.
     You can also use a cut out a solid piece of paper, no window, to outline where you would cut out but I like the window to see exactly where the design is I like. I'm sure there are pre-made products 'out' there too.
    After cutting my selection out. I prepare my panel by painting the sides and back of the it. Most of the time I use flat black gesso for this step.
After the panel is dry, you're ready to mount!
I use Bindex by Peblo for mounting. It sticks faster/tacter than gel medium. 
I use a foam brush to spread onto panel and than flip my piece over onto it.

Press firmly from center out to remove bubbles and wrinkles. Wipe off any excess medium off from the sides with a damp cloth. Paper towels will leave lint.
I flip onto plastic and weight it down to dry. Why plastic? Nothing sticks and the piece will peel off nicely.
I like to finish the edges of the front sides with paint, usually metallic. This creates a 'frame' and seals the fabric edge. Lastly, I paint a clear glaze, slightly diluted, on the top to seal and protect the fabric. This has an added benefit of deepening the colors, which I love!

 Finished and ready to add a hanging wire!

10 comments:

Judy Ferguson said...

Thank you for posting this Wen. I have used the Bindex as you recommended and find it very effective. I used it on a wood panel that had been painted with gesso and did a mixed media piece. Worked great.

Felicity said...

Thank you so much for this very timely post - am going to go and look at some of my old pieces with a very fierce eye!

Kathleen said...

Thank you! Mounting techniques are crucial to fiber work.

Carole said...

Thank you Wen for making this so much easier and for sharing.

marsha said...

fabulous.....
I just bought your DVD the other day. Can't wait to look at.

Wen said...

agreed I am fast losing my firmness about fiber art being free and unbound.
that said I saw a wonderful piece of wrinkled hand made paper framed in a shadow box, wrinkles preserved!

Wen said...

Thank you Thank you for purchasing my DVD!
I do hope you enjoy it as much I as do!!

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

Thank you for the lesson...editing is a vital part of learning the road of the artist. Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Anni Hunt said...

Wen, I can't seem to find the Pebeo Bindex here in Vancouver, Canada. Where do you purchase it? I may be able to order it online. Or is it just another form of Acrylic Medium?
Anni

HollyM said...

Thanks! I really like this idea. I'll have to look on line for the supplies as well.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...