Sunday, August 19, 2012

Explosion remains...



When I paint pages or cloth I like to return to them several times to layer in some more colors and unite them with a color wash. Usually, I use paints that are progressively more diluted- so the colors beneath them are still seen.  If you think in fabric terms, in a way, I’m creating more solids. 

 I use my older paint bottles for this. It’s a great way to use up the leftovers in a bottle by adding water and shaking. Yes- I’m cleaning my bottles this way too.  In this case, I’m using gesso.
            I pour a small amount of paint right onto my table. I’m working on a sheet of 4 ml plastic. I paint with an old credit card.  This allows me to scoop up the paint and scrap it onto my paper, pulling the card around, changing the angle and even using the side to create lines.

You can also blot excess paint away with a paper towel. Rub or simply press & lift. This creates another texture too- where the paint is removed the lower layer is revealed. Sometimes, I’ll spray the paint to remoisten it to allow more lift.

Another example
 you can really see the texture the paper towel left, below

3 comments:

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

Awesome layers Wen!!!! Peace, mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Judy said...

Loved this post so much that it woke me up at 4 this morning, thinking about where I would use this paint technique....my conclusion: everywhere!

Thanks Wen!

xo

mel m. m. mccarthy said...

Wonderful technique, Wen! The depth in your work is breathtaking.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...