Thursday, May 9, 2013

Collage Creation 1

In my Media Mix class we create several substrates with a variety of different materials and mediums.
I will post a series of 3 posts outlining the basic steps to the Cotton Duck Substrate. This is just one example of a direction you can go in with this particular substrate.

Starting with cotton duck, I tear into strips of any size. These are about 10x22 or so. I use slightly diluted black gesso in a nozzle bottle and free motion write/mark make. This should be unplanned and spontaneous, an concept I like to emphasis.
I spray sections of the gesso to create bleeding or what I call paint movement.
 I add at least 2 more colors after the gesso. Here I've used a diluted mixture of Dyna-Flow and water.

 Sometimes I'll spray this to create more movement and blurring or leave as is for strong edges.
 If you let this dry and then add your second colors, you'll great great layering and edges. Or, as I've done here, is add my second color right away. This encourages blending and a third color creation.
I do several of these in at one time. I like to work on multiple projects at the same time. They tend to 'feed' each other ideas!
I will be teaching this at Peters Vally Crafts School, NJ in August 2013 and have taught it, among other, at the Surface Design Conference 2011.

5 comments:

Jo Murray said...

A lovely process

Terry Jarrard-Dimond said...

Thanks for sharing Wen. I appreciate seeing your technique.

Jacqueline said...

I seen your work through Artsy Shark. Absolutely love the style!

Wen said...

Thanks- there will be 2 more collage posts and thanks for viewing Artsy Shark.

jackie said...

Yes, thank you for sharing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...