Friday, March 30, 2012

Remembering your Voice, Finally!

Open Windows 1997
When do you start to listen to your own voice?
When the hollows of your check begin to sag and
you realize the gift of life?
When the voices grow so loud, you can't ignore them
anymore?
When the desire to create overtakes the desire to be 'good'?
Or when you see a process you started once upon a time and nobody thought much of it and you stopped because you listened to them?!
You did!
Why!
detail
The construction of Open Windows is very similar to the digital work I am doing now- doing work in segments. This was done in sections with hand dyed cottons and wools. Each segment was created separately but in unison.  Intuitive curved piecing and applied "free appliqué". Encouraged hanging threads and fabric. It was not accepted in many shows then and was 'retired'. Today, I attended an opening today in Philly and there was a piece there that reminded me of this work. Maybe I should update it a bit and send it back out into the world!
What do you think?

6 comments:

Juanita Yeager said...

You were pre Gees Bend, now it looks more intuitive instead of unschooled. Did that make sense.I tend not to go back, but find myself redoing as a teacher or teaching what I once found joy in doing as new people keep findng my prior work and like what I was doing, but in my creative time in my studio space currently I do what my creative soul says must be done.

Anonymous said...

I enjoy your work immensely and today's post about "the voice" struck a chord-thank you!

Janice m said...

It is worthy of reconsideration. Might be a nice diversion from your digital/sheer if/when you need it!!!I'd keep it handy and if the muse lights up, go for it!!!!

Janice m said...

It is worthy of reconsideration. Might be a nice diversion from your digital/sheer if/when you need it!!!I'd keep it handy and if the muse lights up, go for it!!!!

KAM said...

Wen
Thanks for the words! and the photos of this piece. Today as the earth is coming alive here in the Rockies I see this piece as reflecting the colors of the land around me as I walk...bits of color on an otherwise winter painted earth....lovely. I saved both to my personal folder of thoughts...that place I go for a kick start on a slow process day that is too wet or too cold for a little walk....Thank you for adding to my creative tool box and giving me phrases to stimulate thoughts....
Kristin M F

Tangled Stitch said...

I have found my voice, my peace and my salvation in hand embroidery. It is the only thing I do that quiets my mind and has a life of it's own. It just is. Lovely blog post. Blessings.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...