Saturday, February 19, 2011

a Commission, the Finish

After the main sections of the piece are stretched and stapled, I'm ready to do up the corners. This is done similar to the way of wrapping a present, all the while you're tugging to place pressure on the cloth for a smooth tight corner. This is a little difficult with a thicker fabric like cotton duck.

After the backing is completed and trimmed to fit within 1/4" on the strecher bars. I glue it to the back. If I've done this correctly the transfer will fit exactly under the silk organza photo to create the 3-D effect I call Holographic Images. I always dry with the image up to prevent any mediums or glue from creating blobs on the front.
I weight it down with heavy objects, beach stones and old irons, to make sure backing is in contact with the piece as it dries. Make sure the objects can't roll into your piece and make a pressure stretch marks and ruin it.
When it's dry. I add a label, hanger and wire and it's ready for it's new home!

 


Clear Light
Commission from Art 3 for the Elliot at Rivers Edge which is part of the Elliot Hospital in Manchester, NH
Holographic Images- Multi-level Surface Design/Mixed Media.
Original image taken at Deer Isle, ME, printed on archival digital canvas. Sewn borders in hand painted and surface designed cotton duck, additional stitching line details, silkscreen and mediums.
A section of the image was constructed with transparent silk organza, providing a holographic effect.   30x40
Clear Light 1st finish



Clear Light full side-view









Scraps left over are used in my collage work!

"amazing-- ripples of water can look so calming and so serene- sunlit and inspiring work."
Thank you! Donna Watson
her blog here

12 comments:

Judy Warner said...

Absolutely stunning! Congrats, Wen. And, thank you for sharing the process.

Nienke said...

I can´t believe what my eyes are seeing and are just checking my screensettings ;-). What a stunning piece this is. Fascinating beautifull.

Cedar Ridge Studio said...

Awesome art.

Betsy True said...

This is fabulous, Wen! Thanks for sharing it!

Anonymous said...

Bravo! It was so much fun 'watching' you create this beautiful and soothing piece. Thank you for sharing your process with us.

Ellen Lindner said...

I really enjoyed reading about, (and seeing,) your process, Wen. It makes me think I need to see your work IN PERSON!

Ellen Lindner said...

I really enjoyed reading about and seeing your progress, Wen. It makes me think I need to see your work IN PERSON!

Robbie said...

BEAUTIFUL piece! If you want to throw those scraps my way, just let me know!! Love your work!!

Sherrie Spangler said...

Beautiful! So delicate and "watery." Thanks for showing us how you mount your work. Now what about those scraps?

Cris Winters said...

Your recent posts are great to see! I am right in the middle of finally making some holographic pieces using your techniques from Quilting Arts (April/May 2007), and these photos and instructions in your blogs are helping a lot! Hoping to see you in action on March 5th - on the waiting list!

Anonymous said...

thanks for this tips

Sue Andrus said...

Wow! I just checked out the whole process of this piece.... So beautiful and fun to see it from beginning to end!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...