Monday, November 29, 2010

EDGES

 For some time I have been less and less enamored with binding edges on my fiber work. Back in the 80's I used to use binding with mitered corners. Later I turned the binding toward the back. I like the clean finish of that technique. I thought it was similar to the effect of paintings on canvas.
Assembling and adding medium to edges.
In the 90's,  I used the pillowcase method. I still use and like this method but still...
I have started mounting my work in sections on very stiff interfacing and tying these together. I really enjoy this method and my piece that was accepted into Quilt National was executed this way!
However, in order to do this I had to eliminate the faced edges, as the interfacing is very stiff. Each section is like a mini-canvas. I discovered by simply painting the edges with acrylic paint, it would dry and seal the edges.
Breaking the Surface 
Fiber work is one form of art that actually has to forge it's own presentation methods. This is one I particularly like.

9 comments:

EmPrint said...

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Jean M. Judd said...

A very interesting finishing technique, Wen. It works extremely well with your particular designs. Thanks for sharing it.

Judy Warner said...

I really enjoy seeing how you have progressed through so many options over the years. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Cedar Ridge Studio said...

Great idea.
Do you do them all then paint and press together? Is the paint the only thing holding them together?
I do mini art quilts that I mount on greeting cards would this give me a clean edga?
Thanks
Mary Ann

Robbie said...

Totally agree with you. I face most of my pieces but just started using Laura Kemshall's idea of attaching a quilted piece to a gallery wrap canvas. Love that method and I'll be doing more of that. But I certainly would like to try your idea! Thanks much for sharing!

Pat Bishop said...

Wen,
This makes me want to experiment with new edging techniques and see what I can come up with. I've been doing the pillow case method, standard narrow binding or wrapping onto canvas frames. I'll try to come up with something "edgy". Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

This is a good alternative, thanks for sharing it. I would like to know if you divides the sections in a logical planned (or unplanned) manner.Is dividing necessary or are you trying to add another design element? Do the divisions show clearly or blend? I guess what confuses me is why is the piece divided?

Wen said...

I divide the piece to add a design element, an unusual way of presenting. This brings into play a slightly kinetic element. It makes it easier to quilt as the interfacing I use as batting is very stiff. The pieces are quilted first and the edges are painted for texture and accent. It also glues loose threads down.

Anonymous said...

This really solved my problem, thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...