Friday, August 14, 2009

Suggestions of Communication


In Boats They Fled 2007 full & detailI enjoy adding text to my work. I have quilted an entire poem on the front of a piece. It's not meant to be read. It becomes texture, something to be felt. Sometimes I use photo transfers, or thermal fax silkscreens of interesting writing or symbols to add metallic letters. I developed an automatic writing I dubbed 'wenscript' for lack of a better name. It involves writing with acrylic ink, paint or just stitching. I simply just start to write and keep going, without making any effort to make 'words', making a suggestion of communication.

Conception 2007
for examples, also see posts on March 30, April 21, October 1. 2008, March 5,7 2009

5 comments:

Terry Jarrard-Dimond said...

The piece Conception is exquisite. I love the depth and softness. Look forward to seeing more of your work in person.

Cate Rose said...

I love your work, Wen. I love the fluidity and the freedom, things I long to achieve in my work. Thanks for the inspiration!

Unknown said...

I really love these.

Linda Teddlie Minton said...

Wen, how fun to see you as "Quilt Artist of the Week" ... I always enjoy your blog, and am always inspired by your work.

Judy Alexander said...

Great piece and congrats on being quilt artist of the week.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...