For this particular piece, I made a substrate collage of just a couple inkjet fabrics to give interest to the final print.
Here's the original printout before I worked into it. You can see the vertical line of the additional physical layer running vertically. There are 2 more such pieces.
I had written onto the silk before I cut it. I enjoy adding text, readable or not, into my work.
I repeated the square motif in free style quilting lines. The repeated lines gave me the idea for the title.
Each piece was mounted on birch panels I purchased from Dick Blick. The panel sides were painted matt black first. I did a blog post explaining this process earlier. (here)
I like to create a painted edge, which to can see here in deep cobalt blue.