Saturday, December 19, 2009

Art and Meaning

This dialogue has been around the block a few times, here and in the 'art' world. 

For me, I get excited by figuring out different ways to present my techniques and photographs. Often, without my deliberate attempts my meaning comes though. When I TRY to do this, I often fail. Creation is a dialogue between what I do when I'm art making and the response to that act. I call this being in the 'flow'. Part of my artist’s statement and my teaching is about just this thing- about letting go and dancing with the materials. When this happens the art becomes the

 meaning. The sum is more than the parts. 

Capturing Moments 2009

After that, the viewer will bring their dialogue into the 'picture'. Their interpretation becomes part
of the piece. Their meaning adds to the final result. 

Art has meaning in the act of creation and in the viewing of said art.

That said, The connection with Nature and the spiritual experiences therein are very special. The confirmation given though shared experiences always reaffirms that connection and makes one want more. So out for a walk I will go, to see the rocks smiling and to feel the trees embrace.

5 comments:

Leslie Avon Miller said...

I think it is true that we all find different ways to bring meaning int our work. I'm an in the moment person as well. It is a dance. I know in general what I'm up to, but a lot of it is pre-lingual, things I can not say with words.

Anonymous said...

Wow! what an idea ! What a concept ! Beautiful .. Amazing …

Anonymous said...

Bravo, this rather good phrase is necessary just by the way

Karoda said...

A few days ago I finished reading Ted Orland's The View from the Studio Door which addresses this very well in plan inquisitve talk. I always like to sum it up as the process is to trust the process.

Wen said...

Karoda- Agreed- The process is most important. I usually say I am a process person.I enjoy that so much that sometimes I forget other things. I call this valued state as being in the flow. That is when art happens, this treasured dialogue with the mind boggling spirit of the universe.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...