Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Responses and Connections


Returning from exhibiting at the Paradise City arts show, I wondered how other artists do this for a living. Is it only about the money? Connections?
Basically, I’m happy meeting expenses. The objective of course is to earn some money for your art. But it’s also sharing inspirations and enthusiasms with people who are motivated to stop and view my work. This is a large leap from when I first started to show my work. Nervous and anxious for approval, I worried the work wouldn’t please anyone. As I began to exhibit, I realized my innovative approaches were exciting to people. They asked me how I thought of it, where did I take my photographs, what was I thinking about when I created it. Answering those questions became my story. They were natural and honest answers. I realized showing my work to folks, helped me to understand just what I did put into the work, the stories behind the work, for example; how the fabrics I painted responded to the photographs I used. What I discovered was, telling people about my art was how I ‘sell’ it. It’s not a salesperson’s approach of how to sell, but a visceral response to sharing my work. The motivation to exhibit becomes more than appealing to the current trends or a mere marketing effort. The emphasis is relevant to sharing my work and seeing the connections it makes with people. A window into how and what they see in my work.
The art becomes interactive, a communication.

3 comments:

Jamie Fingal said...

there is nothing like honoring the journey...from design, to putting it together, to finishing. But also making connections with other artists about your work. I think the extra bonus comes when you get to talk to the public about what you do is the greatest gift - and it brings everything full circle.

Susan Brubaker Knapp said...

Wen, this is a thoughtful post.

I am mostly an introvert, but I, too, have discovered that I love talking with people about my work... whether it is the subject matter, the materials or the techniques. All art--dance, music, theatre, visual arts-- is about the connections that exist between us -- and is one of the deepest expressions of our humanity.

When we talk to people about our art, we deepen the understanding and connections, and then people become more attached to our images, and to us. I learn from them and their perceptions, as well, and feel fulfilled. Sometimes they see things in my work that I do not see until they point it out. There is something thrilling in having a "deep," meaningful conversation with someone who, minutes before, was a perfect stranger.

Rebecca Crowell said...

Hi Wen, thanks for the link to my blog! I will return the favor. Your work is beautiful! Interesting post--I do earn my living from my art, a situation that has evolved over time as a result of showing in galleries. I don't end up having much connection with the people who buy my work, since the galleries take care of that end of things. I have some regrets about that, it seems weird that I usually don't even know where things end up at all. But there are other ways to connect and share, online, at openings, when I give workshops, etc. and I do love that aspect of communication. That and allowing the work to communicate in its own way (where ever it ends up) are ultimately more meaningful than the income.

There are a lot of personal/emotional issues about selling your art, I think. For me it is something that has grown over time in a fairly comfortable way. It really is validating to have someone pay for your work, and it also encourages you to let go and move on. On the down side, there are unwelcome pressures that can enter in from galleries as in "this or that is selling well, can we have more?" I've done my best to be true to my own ideas and direction--to do what I want, and not be concerned about the outcome. It has definitely been a challenge at times but so far so good...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...