Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Currier Museum Opening

I went to the new wing of the Currier Museum in Manchester, NH with some friends. I saw for the first time, that I recall, Jules Olitski. Beautiful name, loved his work. Sky alight! I goggled him and here is a quote- just wonderful!

“I decided to be a painter when my grandmother died. And there was something about that that made a number of things clear to me. I was a kid... and I loved her very much and feel that in some way she was one of the few people who supported me. That is she loved me. I got, nonetheless, the sense of an absolutely wasted, thrown away life. Like a dead cat on a garbage pail heap. And it made me get a very clear look on a all the people around me... My family, their friends... And the one thing that got through to me was the notion of... If there’s one thing you want to do, that’s meaningful, in my case it was painting, do it. Do it.”

“If I could just get a spray of color in the air, and somehow it could stay there– _that would be it.”

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Wen, I am equally inspired by one of our local painters, Kari McCarthy. She does such fabulous work with atmospheres (see here: http://www.karimccarthy.com/?sc=rec&pg=1&im=6). Her paintings are even more fantastic in person. Glad to see you are blogging! Aloha, Dianna

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...